All students entering Texas College who are seeking Teacher Certification must meet with an advisor in the Office of Interdisciplinary Studies-Div. of Education.
During the first semester of education courses, complete application to the Educator Preparation Program.
Level I a (To be completed during the Freshman Year):
1. The college will Identify students seeking Teacher Certification
2. Students will attend core classes in Teacher Education Learning Communities
3. The Division of Education will present Orientation sessions during the Freshman Seminars.
Level II (To be completed by the Second Semester of Sophomore Year):
Candidate seeking to teach specific subject content including math or science at grade 7 or above, must have completed 15 semester credit hours. If teaching below grade 6, must have completed 12 semester hours.
Level III (To be completed during the Junior Year)
1. Minimum of 59 credit hours with a career GPA of 2.75
2. Complete an Application to be admitted to the Texas College Educator Preparation Program. The following information should be submitted along with the application:
3. Thirty (30) hours of Observation in an agreed upon classroom setting that corresponds to your Certification Area. A signed attendance record must be turned in documenting attendance.
4. Successfully complete all content and PPR courses with a C or better.
5. Complete content area course requirements
6. Attend required workshops and seminars for test preparation
7. Once all content courses or PPR courses are completed, students must request and complete the certifyteacher online program which is part of the Capstone Course (EDUC 4303).
8. Take and pass certifyteacher Practice Exam with a minimum of 80% accuracy.
9. Submit test results to Division of Education to obtain approval to take the TExES Content exam through the certification officer.
10. Take and pass the TExES Content exam student teaching course prerequisite.
11. The Content TexES Exam must be taken and passed prior to clinical teaching.
12. Complete Clinical Teaching Application and request a Clinical Teaching assignment.
Level IV (To be completed during the Senior/Final Year):